Vision-Aid held a workshop, in collaboration with it’s partner, Youth4Jobs on Innovations in Mobile and Braille Technologies for the visually impaired in Bengaluru on 20th January 2019. The instructors Balaji, Justin and Manjunatha provided insights on various topics. Many trainers from Vision-Aid’s partner organizations including Youth4Jobs, Samarthanam, Nethra, Aravind, Sankara Nethralaya and others attended the workshop. The knowledge and skills acquired by the participating trainers will ripple through to many others in coming months.
Topics in innovation in mobile technology that were covered in the workshop are
- Overview of Smart phone,
- Common Gestures,
- Apps for communication – Phone, Messages, WhatsApp, gMail, Zoom,
- Navigation apps – Google maps,
- Travel Apps – Ola, Uber,
- Social Media Apps – Facebook, Twitter,
- Wallets – Google Pay,
- Be My Eyes,
- Google assistant,
Topics on Braille Technologies (Orbit Reader) that were discussed are
- Physical layout of the Orbit reader,
- Functions of the various buttons,
- How to read on the device,
- File and folder management,
- Taking notes on the Orbit reader.
The feedback was encouraging from the participants. “We wonderful time with trainers and both the sessions were excellent
But many participants expressed that the workshop should conduct for at least two days instead of one day”.
Please click here to see one of the success stories.